Thursday, October 31, 2013

Olympic Addiction

There is something about the Olympics that changes me in some surprising ways.

100 Days to Sochi in Times Square
One: I do not follow sports and never have. The exceptions to that (and they are admittedly BIG exceptions) are gymnastics and skating. The latter is something I have loved all of my life and that is a darn good thing because if I had to sit through hour upon hour of basketball or soccer, watching my daughter play, I would not be near as happy as I am watching her skate.

Two: I am not an overtly patriotic person. I do love my country, but not all parts of it. I love other countries too, although I do not consider them home, as I do this one. But I just don't get into that part of patriotism that causes me to hang flags in my yard or believe that my country is somehow better or more deserving than other countries are.

But put me around anything having to do with the Olympics and all of that changes. I love to watch the skating most of all, but I find myself following sports I am not normally interested in at all--like snowboarding or track. And I will wear Team USA shirts and jackets and insanely shout "GO USA" at the top of my lungs.
Adelaide getting ready to skate

Which is precisely why I am hoarse today.

Yesterday I attended the Road To Sochi event in Times Square, New York with my daughter and her coaches. She got to skate, along with some other skating students in a big plastic ice rink that was put up for the event, along with a small ski slope and other demo areas for Winter Olympic sports. There was music, performances, big Clydesdale horses carrying Olympic hopefuls, autographs, sponsor booths giving away all kinds of paraphenalia.

In the evening, when it got dark, the whole square was lit up with Olympic seals and Jumbotrons that showed what was happening in the different areas. The dance company, Pilobolus had created a video of all of the Olympic sports which was played all over the square.



Denis and Melissa performing in Times Square

Denis Petukhov and Melissa Gregory, my daughter's coaches, who were US Olympians in the 2006 games, performed a spectacular number on the ice that was a cool fusion of figure skating and hockey accompanied by the singer, Karl William Giant, who had written a song for this occasion.

Gavin DeGraw sang from a nearby stage while Emily Hughes skated. A slew of hopeful Olympians and Paralympians were brought out on a red carpet and introduced. Lindsay Vonn made a surprise appearance (Tiger not in sight).

It was exciting--especially so because I was "behind the scenes" with my daughter and her coaches, true, but I would have been thrilled anyway. And, yes, I screamed at the top of my lungs for her and all of the athletes. I wore the blue mittens with "Go" embroidered on one hand, and "USA" on the other.

I still haven't figured out why I am so affected by the whole thing--but I certainly am, no doubt about it! I can't wait until February when I will see them in person in Sochi, Russia. Probably I won't be able to talk for weeks.

On another note, check out my article on About.com about Portugal's coffee culture and an original recipe for Portuguese Toasted Almonds, which are also completely addictive. The coffee is particularly good if eaten with Papo Secos, Portuguese Bread Rolls, toasted with some butter and jam on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment